Thursday, September 2, 2010

Mom's baby quilt makeover.

So when we were cleaning out the attic this past weekend we found mom's baby quilt. It was so sad and the quilted front was falling apart and the back had huge worn out spots, but I figured we could find new fabric and applique the old patches to it and then just sew it on as the front! I couldn't let all that awesome vintage fabric get thrown away! So we found some really cute fabric as the front and then got some more to patch up the back with. Unfortunately I forgot to take before pictures because I'm a total space case this week with packing and everything, but just imagine the front of the quilt with poor sad little squares hanging on for dear life and huge, gigantic holes everywhere! The back wasn't as bad, it just had some holes but we kept that fabric since it was still in pretty good shape.









It's not perfectly sewn, there's some wonky areas because I haven't really sewn something this large before so had a hard time keeping it straight! oh well, it still looks way cute and it saved the quilt from getting thrown away! I LOVE the cowboy fabric on the back, I think its hilarious that mom's great aunt used that for a baby girl! Plus its just plain awesome. And I think the cloud patches on the back look cute, and the blue fabric really sets off the red well and works with all the old fabrics well too. Anyway, that was my project this week before moving. I think I'm really starting to enjoy this whole sewing thing! I'll have to buy myself a sewing machine after I'm done with school next year!

Tomorrow we finish packing everything up (that God it's all going to fit in the car) and then Saturday morning we are off! GAHHH!!! Its so crazy, but I'm excited! Hope everyone's week is going well.

Happy Project Runway night (Thursday)!

0 comments: