Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Food allergy bullying, are you serious?!

I read this article this morning from CNN. First of all how awful that these poor kids with food allergies (especially peanut being that its one of the most common allergies and usually one of the most deadly) have to go through this! Kids are so mean and intolerant of anything different! What does it say about our society that children aren't learning to care for each other and watch out for each other, instead they "tease" others with things that could potentially kill? Its so disturbing! I'm glad I didn't have any food allergies until high school when I could understand my allergy and stand up for myself! These poor little ones can't be expected to know everything about their allergy, sure than can learn what they can and can't eat, but they should be expected to have to stand up for themselves just for a simple thing like a food allergy!

And then I read through the comments on this article. Oh my gosh, I was disgusted by what people had to say! Kids with allergies is just natures way of getting rid of the weak ones?? Are you kidding me?? Kids have no right to be in public school if they have allergies?? Again, are you kidding me?? A child has every right to go to any school! And allergies are recognized under the ADA 1990, so schools have to accommodate. Believe me I know, I had to work with my college to get gluten free options in the cafeteria just so I could eat something besides salads!

Also food allergies are a medical condition that a child or a person cannot help! They don't intentionally say oh I'm gonna be allergic to peanuts or to gluten or strawberries. Its just something their body cannot tolerate! They're not looking for attention! I HATE when people point out that I can't eat something! that is one of my biggest pet peeves, yeah I know what I can and can't eat, I hate being singled out for my diet restrictions! And these poor kids being bullied are just trying to not only deal with normal kids problems but also with diet restrictions which is a very stressful thing, and unless you have them you can't know how stressful sometimes!

I just was so disgusted with what this article brought to light and then I when I read the comments, oh my Lord, I couldn't take it! People with food allergies are not weak or sick, we are just like any other person! We just can't eat a certain thing! We don't want special treatment, we just want to be able live our lives like every other person wants to!

I'm sorry, I just had to have my little tangent about this issue, I just couldn't hold it in after reading all that! And being a person with diet restrictions, this issue is very dear to my heart!