Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The Jenny/Curtis Project: Day 6

Today I went French. (Actually our family does have a little bit of French in us, so I was just getting in touch with my inner French girl!) I made French onion soup and then just for a kick made French macaroons! Raspberry/chocolate macaroons to be exact! I've only ever made the other macaroons that are coconutty, and I love coconut flavor but can't stand the texture of it so therefore don't like them much. But French macaroons are made from almond meal, meringue and powdered sugar. um yum.

French onion soup!

Onions for my soup


all sliced and starting to cook down


onions cooked and then sherry and red wine added


the finished product. Not too bad if I do say so myself. 

When I was little my mom and brother loved French onion soup. Me? Not so much. I didn't like onions. I still am not the biggest fan, I love the flavor they add to dishes, but I am the person who picks onions out anything if they are too crunchy or too big. So I was pushing my self with this dinner, I didn't know if I'd actually like it. Well I did! I think having the cheesy bread croutons help because you're not just eating onions in broth. The broth though is amazing! It's super duper nummy nums! So yet again Curtis, good job. I enjoyed this one very much.


French Macaroons!
Now these aren't a Curtis recipe, I just saw some today online and was like I wonder what those are, I wanna make some, look how cute. So I found a recipe and guess what guys?! THEY ARE NATURALLY GLUTEN FREE!!!! There's just almond meal and powdered sugar in them as the dry ingredients! I was excited, I love baking with almond meal, its delish. 


sitting for 30 min before baking


all baked! ready to be made into little sandwiches


they have chocolate ganache in the middle 
(it has a little raspberry extract in it to bring in the flavor)


how cute are they??? ohmygosh! I love them!!!

I cheated a tiny bit with my macaroons and added some smashed up raspberries to the meringue so they have more raspberry flavor than just the extract in the chocolate ganache. I think these are def my new favorite cookie! And there's all sorts of flavors you can do, and really you could make them any color you wanted! oh oh oh just had an idea to make them for Easter on sunday!!! that'll be so cute! yay. 

Ok well thats enough about Frenchy food. I hope you all have a beautiful Tuesday night!

goodnight loves!

3 comments:

Whitney said...

All of this looks great!

I've had many a French macaron, but I've always been scared to make them. You've inspired me to try.

Go, Jenny, go!

Jenny said...

They weren't really hard, just took time to do. here's the recipe I used.

http://www.grouprecipes.com/81198/raspberry-chocolate-french-macaroons-regular-and-gluten-free.html

Rachel Durban said...

I've so got to try to make those! They're adorable. :)