Wednesday, April 21, 2010

My tea cups

I have a teacup collection. I love it dearly. I actually never intended to collect tea cups, it just kind of happened. And its not a collection I advertise or add to regularly. I collected teapots when I was young but many broke and I got rid of most of them because they didn't really have any sentimental value or real value. But my teacups started when my great grandmother showed me all her old teacups from when she was a little girl. She grew up in the 1910's and the tradition then was for girls to give each other teacups as a birthday gift. They were a symbol of friendship. 

She had kept hers all those years and I always thought they were the most beautiful things in the world. They are. She died when I was about 15 and the first thing I made sure I had from her house were her teacups to add to my small collection of about three. I always look for new ones when I'm in an antique store but I've run out of room now for anymore. One day when I finally have my own place I'll put up special teacup shelves that I can fill up with as many as I want. But for now they'll stay on my one little shelf with my other treasures.











I love looking at them in my bedroom, they remind of my great grandma. I'm named after her and I like think that her and I are quite similar, she was a very strong woman. Every day when I have my cup of tea in the morning I think of her because it was at her house I had my first cup of tea.   

1 comments:

Rachel Durban said...

Wow. Those are so great! Love them.