Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The Jenny/Curtis Project: Day 12 (Cinco De Mayo)

Happy Cinco De Mayo! Ai ai ai ai ai! Ole! So tonight I made steak with chipotle, cilantro butter and grilled corn on the cob! And for dessert I made Tres Leches cake, not a Curtis recipe but it went with the Mexican theme.

The steak was super duper yummy! I marinated it in white wine first and salt and peppered it, Curtis didn't tell me to marinate it first, but I love when its marinated so did. Oh and I made the butter by having a room temp stick and then mixing in chopped up chiles and cilantro and TEQUILA!!!! Sorry but I love tequila, so whenever I see something with tequila I get really excited. Then I popped it in the fridge for about an hour. Anway, then I (actually dad) grilled the steaks on the bbq and when he flipped it we put a big pat of butter on each steak.



And the corn is pretty easy, I didn't read the recipe ahead of time so I didn't have the butter mixture chilled like I was supposed to, oops. Anway I just melted butter until is was browned and stirred in chopped garlic, and then brushed that on the corn and put that on the grill too! Its so yummy you must try it!




Finally I made the tres leches. Omg you guys, I've never had this cake before because I can't eat it at Mexican restaurants obvi, being they use wheat flour. I got the recipe from The Pioneer Woman (ps read her blog, she's awesome). So I just followed her recipe and used my Pamela's all purpose baking mix for the flour (I'm lazy and don't want to make my own flour mixes so use Pamela's). Once the cake is baked you poke it with a fork and drizzle a mixture of evaporated and condensed milk and heavy cream on it and let it soak in for about 30 min. Then you top it with whipped cream! Luckily we had whipped cream already made up from last night when mom made something for a potluck somewhere. And she has one of those way cool whipped cream contraptions that they have Starbucks, I get super excited when I get to use it. Yeah, I'm a huge nerd.



So all in all, I think this was the BEST Cinco De Mayo meal I've ever had! (well the fish taco and night of tequila my junior year in college was kinda awesome, but that's a whole other animal).

So happy independence Mexico, I love you so very much, you brought me my favorite type of food in world and my favorite drink...margaritas. sigh. thank you Mexico, thank. you.

Oh and well done Curtis on the steak and corn, it was delish. So thank you too!

0 comments: