Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Mean green cleaning machine!

So I recently checked out 


from the library. 

I wanted it because she has recipes, I suppose you'd call them, for cleaning products!
I hate using all the chemically products for cleaning the house, they always smell
icky and strong and its just plain bad for the environment to be putting all these things
down the drains!

So I got this book and got right to work to making our own cleaners! And its so cheap! All you need
is a big box of baking soda, a huge thing of white vinegar and water! And then you can get
fancier and use citrus solvent as a countertop cleaner because citrus is naturally antibacterial.
(I haven't been able to find the citrus solvent yet (citra-solv or Orange Glo) but it should be at most
stores); and you can use castille soap to aid in cleaning bathrooms and things!

Anyway for the meantime I made up a glass cleaner, simply vinegar and water, then use a rag or old newspapers to clean windows and mirrors.

And I made an all purpose cleaner with baking soda, white vinegar and water!

You can google the measurements or go find the book, I had to fudgey them a bit because of the size of the bottles we bought.

Oh and then to clean my bath tub and such I just dumped some baking soda in there and scrubbed away with a sponge and it feels squeaky clean! Its great! 

And finally for dusting just use one cup of water and about 15 drops of your favorite smelling essential oil, put in a spray bottle, shake before you spray it on your rag and there ya go! Dusting spray! The oil helps shiney up any woods and the water just picks up the dust! voila! 

Anyway, I just thought I'd share my newest finds in my mission to be more sustainable. 

Happy Tuesday! 

0 comments: