Monday, June 21, 2010

adventures of going vegan

So I've decided that as far as going vegan I probably won't go all the way. Gluten free cooking/baking is hard enough already so I will probably still use butter and eggs, in baking especially. I just don't like shortening or margarine (margarine especially because its just full of chemicals, yuck). Also, I'll test using egg replacers in baking but if it doesn't work well then I'll use eggs for baking. But I won't eat eggs or dairy on their own anymore. So I guess really I'll just be a vegetarian technically. And maybe as time goes on and I practice vegan cooking more I'll figure out ways to do it by being totally vegan. But I want to ease into it and play around with it so I can find the best recipes and the best diet for me.

Last week I made a yummy soup using vegetable stock. I was surprised how good it turned out because usually I can't stand taste of the veg stock! It just always tastes flat to me. But this soup was great! It was Mediterranean soup. So you chop up an onion and slice up a carrot and saute those in olive oil until soft. Then add in some garlic and saute just a couple minutes more. Then pour in a box of veg stock and put in a can of rinsed cannelloni beans (I did two cuz I wanted more in there). Finally put in a small can of tomato sauce (I used stewed tomatoes, which I think I liked better than if I did tomato sauce) two bay leaves, some thyme and oregano. And throw in half a cup of either white or red wine. Then just let it simmer for a bit! Take out the bay leaves before you eat it. We just had it with bread! yum!

0 comments: