Monday, March 28, 2011

M.A or M.F.A

So I came to SCAD because the Design for Sustainability program was only a one year master's (M.A). I didn't even know they were waiting to get the two year master's (M.F.A) approved. Then Fall quarter I learned that and I heard that if you ever want to teach ever you HAVE TO HAVE AN M.F.A. And I was like well I don't know what I want to do when I'm done with this degree, maybe I want to teach I should probably do the M.F.A if it's approved! But it wasn't approved all Fall quarter and wasn't last quarter so then I was like nope I don't want to do it even if it is approved before I'm done. I'm so ready to be done with school and just get to working (and lets me honest make some actual money so I can pay down credit cards and not be living off of borrowed money). And then over Spring break lo and behold the M.F.A was approved. When I got the email I had a moment when I though should I do it? I should probably do it. But that moment soon passed. I've talked to people who have gone through grad school and they said in the real world there's not much difference between a M.A and a M.F.A. The only world it would probably matter is at a design school who requires a M.F.A to teach, and I don't think I want to teach, at least not at the collegiate level. But honestly I have no idea what I want to do with this degree. When people ask I just say oh I probably will get into consulting, and I have no idea what that even means, it just shuts people up with the "what do you want to do with your life" question.

I also can't stay in the South for another year, I would die. I'm a West coast and Northwest girl through and through! I still have two quarters here left and I'm going to try and get it approved that my last quarter can be at home in Washington; my final project (which is the only class I'll have during summer) is going to focus on my small town where my parents live so hello it only makes sense that I'm there! So hopefully that will approved in the  next couple of weeks so I can start planning my road trip home with Ashlee and Heather for June and not September! I am so so so so so so ready to be back in the West!!!

Anyway I have no idea what this post was about, just thoughts for the day. Sorry I'm such a bad post-er as of late, I just didn't have time to do anything fun last quarter and this quarter will be the same. Someday I'll be a good blogger, just not now, not until I'm done with this degree. Well anyway, off to read and get ahead for one class that looks like it'll be reading heavy this quarter (which is fine by me after all our crazy projects last quarter, I will gladly read and not do projects!!!).

So happy Monday, happy almost April, happy Spring quarter.

0 comments: