Friday, March 4, 2011

Regional dialect

I've seen a few blogs do this regional dialect thing and being that I am a Northwest, West Coast girl currently living in the South (don't even get me started) I thought it was interesting to do. I'm not gonna video myself saying the words because I can't stand my voice on video so I'll just write out how we (in the Northwest) say them and write the answers to the questions.


Say these words:
Aunt (I say it like my East coast family, "Ont" most west coast peeps say "ant")
Route (root)
Wash (uh wash...how do you say it??)
Oil (oyl), Theater (thee-a-tur)
Iron (eyern)
Salmon (samon, don't pronounce the L people, its a Northwest fish so we know best)
Caramel (car-mul)
Fire (fi-yer)
Water (wah-dter, we're not good at prounouncing our T's on the west coast)
Sure (shurr)
Data (day-dta)
Ruin (rue-in)
Crayon (cran...with a little bit of a y sound in there but not much)
Toilet (toy-let)
New Orleans (new orlens)
Pecan (peh-cahn, haha muffins anyone?)
Both (bohth)
Again (agin)
Probably (exactly how its spelt)
Spitting image (again, exactly how its spelt)
Alabama (is there another way to say Alabama?)
Lawyer (loy-er)
Coupon (q-pon, I hate when people say coo-pon, drives me crazy!)
Mayonnaise (mannaise)
Syrup (surup)
Pajamas (well jammies mostly or pj's, but puh-jamas)
Caught (cot)
Now answer these questions:
What is it called when you throw toilet paper on a house? tp-ing! what other things do people call it??
What is the bug that when you touch it, it curls into a ball? well if I'm thinking of the right bug, those little gray ones that live under rocks in the garden...potato bug
What is the bubbly carbonated drink called? POP!!!!!!!!!!! But my mom says soda like her East coast family so soda comes out sometimes. But it's pop. always pop. 
What do you call gym shoes? tennis shoes, well we say tenna-shoes really...
What do you say to address a group of people? hey guys! (hey you guyyyyyssss)
What do you call the kind of spider that has an oval-shaped body and extremely long legs? daddy long legs
What do you call your grandparents? one grandma is "Nanny" and one was "Grammy" and my great grandma was "grandma". And the grandpa I knew was "papa". But all my friends call them "grandma and grandpa"
What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket? cart
What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining? rain....is there a special name for that??? we have tons of names for rain in Seattle but i don't think we have a name for that, it's just rain. 
What is the thing you change the TV channel with? remote! I can't stand "clicker" gross. 

3 comments:

Whitney said...

Ahhhh! Jenn, Mike makes fun of me for "cran". My coworkers make fun of me for "car-mul". A lot of people don't know what I'm talking about when I say, "pop". Also, I didn't notice the "wad-er" thing until I moved out here, and now I'm kind of self conscious about it.

Ridiculous.

Jenny said...

I figured out in middle school that we don't pronounce "t's" well when I was in Boston with my cousins. I was calling their cat Gatto and said it how I normally would and my cousin was like it's not Gaddo it's Gatto and I was like that's exactly what I just said you weirdo. Also it drives me nuts when people say cray-on, it sounds so pretentious. Also my cousins were always confused when I said pop because that's what New Englander's call suckers. West coast dialect rules!

Meg said...

Haha, this is funny, especially 'cause we're basically from the same area, but I differ on some of these…

Crayon: It's sooo obviously Cray-On (That's how it's spelled.) Not "cran" (what, like the berry?).
Route & data: I alternate between “route” and “root” and “da-ta” and “day-ta” depending on how pretentious I want to sound.
Coupon: haha, I’m the opposite. It drives me nuts when people say “q-pon”. I say “coo pon”
Mayonnaise: I pronounce all the syllables. “May-on-aise” But honestly, I usually say “mayo”
Pop: I grew up saying pop, but have found myself more recently saying “soda” ‘cause so many people I know do. Sadness
TV remote: I grew up saying “clicker”, but found that most people don’t know what that is, so I usually say “remote” now. Laura’s family calls it the “stick” which I think is funny.

What else would you call a shopping cart??? Or TPing???